Add Colorful Vegetables
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Preheat oven to 325°F.
1 pkg. Jimmy Dean® Premium Pork Roll Sausage (Sage or Regular)
2 cups chopped celery
1 cup finely chopped onion
4 cups coarsely crumbled cornbread, toasted (see below for GF option)
¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
1 tsp poultry seasoning
1 cup chicken broth (see note)
1 egg, lightly beaten
½ – 1 cup red chopped bell pepper
½ cup grated carrot or chopped orange bell pepper
- Cook sausage, celery and onion in large skillet over MEDIUM-HIGH heat 8-10 minutes or until sausage is thoroughly cooked, stirring frequently; drain. Spoon into large bowl.
- Add cornbread, parsley and seasoning; mix lightly. Add broth and egg; mix just until blended.
- Spoon into lightly greased 2-quart casserole or soufflé dish; cover.
- Bake 45 minutes or until thoroughly heated, uncovering after 35 minutes.
Note: This dressing recipe is so flavorful, it is easy to add vegetables. Add a little extra broth if needed to moisten the cornbread mix.
Cornbread with Gluten Free Option
Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 10 inch skillet or a 9×9 inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
In a large bowl, mix
- 3 tablespoons melted butter (or sub melted coconut oil or olive oil)
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons honey (or pure maple syrup)
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or milk of your choice)
- 1 cup gluten free oat flour (or if not GF, use whole wheat pastry flour or all purpose flour)
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal (medium grind)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, mix together the wet ingredients: melted butter, eggs, honey and almond milk until well combined.
- Stir in the dry ingredients: oat flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt.
- Pour into the greased skillet and bake for 15-22 minutes, or until tester comes out clean.
For cornbread stuffing
Allow cornbread to cool completely in skillet. (NOTE: You can make this a day ahead if you’d like, then continue with the next step the next day.)
Next, reduce heat in oven to 350 degrees F. Cut the cornbread into 1/2 inch cubes and place them on a baking sheet.
Spray the tops of the cornbread with nonstick cooking spray or drizzle with olive oil. Bake for 15 minutes to dry out bread. Optional to skip drying out the cornbread if you are short on time.